From Miami, Florida, USA:

My son was always a slow grower many years before being diagnosed with type 1 at almost 16 years. He always appeared to be many years younger. He lost his last baby teeth at age 15. Now he's a grad student and looks like a college freshman. His thyroid has always been okay except when he was diagnosed, and he's in good control. Will he ever look his age?

Some children do mature later than others. Sounds like he qualifies. This isn't a disease and likely will be considered a blessing when he's older. I wouldn't worry.