From Marion, Indiana, USA:

I need help with a problem. I need to know where to get information on the emotional effects diabetes has on children and other family members. I have been a diabetic for 13 years, and have a child that doesn't want anyone to know her mother is a diabetic.

Your child may have heard some of the "horror tales" generously but erroneously spread about persons with diabetes (they all go blind, have their limbs cut off, die prematurely, etc.) and may thus have a tremendous fear about the state of your health. Or perhaps your child is a teen and simply wants no part of your reality at all (normal narcissism), or views diabetes as a character flaw of some sort. In any event, have you sat down and asked your child why he/she feels that way?

There are a variety of books listed in the Diabetes Forecast and on this website regarding the emotional side of chronic disease on patients and their families.

Posted to Behavior