From St. Clair Shores, Michigan, USA:

I am a 13 year old with diabetes. I have been diabetic for 2 months and I am curious about a reading I have gotten. When I go to the diabetic specialist, he gives me a paper saying my results. It said I had no ketones, protein, or glucose in the urine. However it did say that pH was 5. What is pH? Is that a normal level? The doctor said nothing about it, and my father who has been diabetic for 35 years didn't know what it meant. Can you tell me?

I'm really proud of you for being so observant. The doctor is using a dip stick that looks at lots of things in the urine. pH is a measure of the acid/base balance. Most people are able to concentrate acid in the urine. A pH of 5 means your kidneys are working just fine in the acid/base balance. It is healthy and normal.

pH is measured from 0-14 with very strong acids having the lower number and very strong bases the higher numbers. You can look all of this up on the Internet, now that I've given you a start.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

pH can also be measured in the blood. The blood's pH is usually about 7.4, although in the complication called diabetic ketoacidosis it may be as low as about 7.0 or so.