Question:

From Arkansas, USA:

I am 18. I am 10 weeks pregnant. I am scared to death of the possible birth defects my blood sugar beforehand and the first month of pregnancy caused. Can you please tell me what I could have done to my child?

Answer:

The risk to the fetus will depend upon how elevated your blood glucose values were during the first few months of the pregnancy. Trying to get your blood sugars as close to normal as possible is the best thing you can do to minimize the risk of abnormalities in the fetus.

It will be important for you to have an early ultrasound around 16 weeks along with a blood test for alpha fetoprotein. These two tests will help to rule out the presence of spina bifida and other structural abnormalities in the baby. At about 20-22 weeks another ultrasound should be done to examine the baby's heart as well.

Posted to Family Planning