Question:

From North Dakota, USA:

I'm fourteen and have had diabetes for 14 years. How much insulin is too much? I take 13-16 Humalog and 45-46 NPH.

Answer:

Roughly speaking, you need as much insulin as it takes to keep your blood sugar under control. The average insulin dose is about 0.7-1 unit of insulin per kg of body weight per day, 2/3 Regular and 1/3 NPH. But growing teens (in puberty) need more, sometimes several times as much.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.