Question:

From Auckland, New Zealand:

I am a 26 year old female and have had type 1 diabetes for 14 years. Until recently my control has been good, but for the last 8 to 10 weeks I have had chronic diarrhoea and have lost about 10 kg. I have visited my doctor many times and also been admitted to hospital twice for observation and tests all of which have failed to turn up anything. After meals my stomach is bloated and expanded. On occasions I have also vomited. If you could make any suggestions they would be most appreciated. This problem is really getting me down and I am suffering some stress over it.

Answer:

Besides diabetic gastroparesis, which seems to me rather unlikely in a young women in good metabolic control, I don't see any other diabetes-related issue to be of concern with your description of your problem. Gastroparesis should have been relatively easy to diagnose, and your doctors would certainly have told you of this diagnosis if it were the case for you.