From Maine, USA:

I have had diabetes now for six and a half years. I still have not been able to get a handle on it, and I'm a bit confused as to the next step I should take. I have Type 1. Any suggestions?

First of all, if you are not in the care of an endocrinologist, you should be. You didn't tell us your age or what kind of problems you are having.

The control of type 1 diabetes involves all aspects of daily living including food, exercise, insulin, emotions, and scheduling your daily activities. To get the best control, you need to take all these factors into consideration and work with professionals (endocrinologist, nutritionist, nurse educators, psychologists) to devise an individualized strategy to meet your specific needs and help you cope with whatever your personal difficulties are having. You can't just meet with a doctor for 15 or 20 minutes once every 3 months to accomplish this (even though the HMO's somehow think this is possible.)

Good luck and if you have a more specific question, please feel free to ask us.

Posted to Behavior