Question:

From Sikeston, Missouri, USA:

It would be great if there were a report on what diabetics can and cannot eat. My doctor has put me on pills and has me monitoring my blood levels, but has yet to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat. My wife has taken sugar out of my diet, but that's as far as we have gone.

Answer:

The American Diabetes Association and American Dietetic Association no longer have just one diabetic diet. Today, we might say that "ADA diet" means "A Dietitians Assessment". You and your wife need to visit a dietitian, preferably one that is a Certified Diabetes Educator, who can help you design a diet that works for you and your lifestyle.

In general, the meal plan that people with diabetes should eat is the same general healthy diet that all Americans should follow: low in saturated fat, high in fiber and not excessive in carbohydrates.

VV