Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

I am wondering about any investigation into the Hepatitis B vaccine series and autoimmune disease, specifically Type 1 diabetes. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes one month after completing the Hepatitis B series several years ago. The news show 20/20 had information about health concerns that have me wondering about a possible connection.

Answer:

Your daughter almost certainly has Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes and this is a condition in which the erosion of insulin production in the beta cells of the islets takes many months, even years. It is very improbable that the hepatitis vaccination had any role in initiating the fundamental pathology; but it is possible that it triggered or helped trigger the final onset of clinical diabetes in a situation where well over 95% of insulin production was already destroyed.