From the USA:

My 13 year old son fainted in school while sitting watching a movie. He fell off his chair hit his head and had a brief (under 2 minute) seizure. The doctor said it was due to not eating breakfast; he had low blood sugar (37). Should I follow up and see if he has diabetes? He does from time to time have blurry vision.

To my mind, a 13 year old who has a first seizure deserves a rather thorough work up. Certainly in this instance there are good reasons for accepting hypoglycemia as the trigger. For diabetes to present at this age with low blood sugars is unusual. However occasionally as the capacity to produce insulin is slowly eroded in the autoimmune process there will be a defect in what is called first phase insulin release, meaning that the response of the beta cells to a blood sugar peak is inappropriately delayed causing hypoglycemia some hours after the meal. In this case since your son had no breakfast there would have been no glucose peak and thus no insulin response.

Just the same, I think I would ask your doctor about getting an antibody test (Telephone 1-800-425-8361). That includes an anti 21-hydoxylase assay. This may sound rather elaborate; but simpler tests for diabetes may not be positive at this stage.