Question:

From Edison, New Jersey, USA:

My 16 year old daughter has been complaining for months about being thirsty, tired and urinating frequently. I took her to the doctor, and so far they pricked her finger, that blood was fine, but her urine showed a trace of sugar. Could this mean she is a diabetic? If so, would she need insulin? She otherwise has a good appetite and no stomach pains.

Answer:

It depends what she had been eating/drinking prior to the test. If she was fasted then she should probably be 'stressed' with a glucose tolerance test or at least have a formal laboratory blood sugar done.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

If the urine sugar was positive, diabetes is somewhat more likely. I agree with Dr. Robertson; more testing is necessary. If the fasting blood sugar is normal in the laboratory, then perhaps a 2-hour postprandial blood sugar, or a GTT, should be scheduled. Other tests, such as a glycohemoglobin or antibody determination, might also be ordered later, but high blood sugars are diagnostic if they are found to exist.

WWQ