Question:

From Gorebridge, Midlothian, Scotland:

A friend's child aged 10 has had type 1 diabetes for four years. For the past six weeks his blood sugars have been in the high twenties and thirties (mmol/L). He was taken into hospital last week and had hourly sugar levels throughout the night for several nights and was not having hypos. Injection technique was observed for several days. HbA1c was 8.7% and venous blood glucose was 22 mmol/L. He has no infection and is not pubertal. Is there any other possible cause for the glucose levels to run so high over such a long period of time?

Answer:

Well, on the basis of what you report, the admission to the hospital excluded infections and other major causes. I have a very few other possibilities to consider :

• Is it possible his insulin has spoiled?
  • Is he overeating?

I think the doctors at the hospital can surely find out what's going wrong with the child much better than me so far away trough the Internet!

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA