Question:

From Vermont, USA:

I am 30 year old female, recently diagnosed. I take 4+ injections daily. If I'm not feeling well and I check my glucose level and find myself at 340, is there a scale that says for example how many units of insulin I would have to take to bring my levels down to 100? My doctor says "when you're high, use your insulin" but I continuously have to guess at the amount and I have on more than one occasion bottomed out because of this.

Answer:

With my adult patients I frequently suggest to inject, when they are very high over the day, 1 unit of Regular for each 100mg/dl above the 150mg/dl blood sugar ideal target.

This is in addition to their usual insulin doses.