Question:

Is Semolina something that I can have as a recently-diagnosed type 2 diabetic? If so, how much and when can I have it? Also I have been trying to find out how much and what type of fruit I can have.

I was diagnosed as a diabetic about a month ago, or maybe two months ago. I am going to be 40 in one month or so and have never been diagnosed as a diabetic previous to this time.

Answer:

I am not sure what you mean by Semolina. I am familiar with semolina as a part of pasta flour, etc. and then it would be figured as part of the pasta (1/2 cup pasta = 1 carb unit or 15 grams carbohydrate). I am not sure if there is "semolina" that is a separate grain that you can cook up, such as couscous, but if so, plan on about 1/2 cup of a cooked grain product is 1 carb unit.

As far as fruits, 1 small fruit, 1/2 cup unsweetened fruit, about 2 -3 tablespoons of a dried fruit all count as 1 carb unit or about 15 grams of carbohydrate. Sweetened fruits should be drained since they will contribute more sugar, or else have a smaller portion.

I hope I have whetted your appetite for more nutrition information and you will discuss these and other nutrition questions with a diabetes dietitian ( check with your physician, or at your local hospital or health care facility).

LSF