Question:

From Alabama, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 51 years old. I have been on 4 shots per day since 4 months after being diagnosed. I am now 54 years old. on my last doctors visit the doctor told me that my C-peptide test was in the normal range. He said that due to the antibodies he knew I was a type 1 diabetic and would never be able to come off of insulin. When I started taking insulin I gained about 50 pounds. The doctor has started treating me with Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes]. It has helped a little with my weight. Will Glucophage damage my liver over time? Also, is the C-peptide test an accurate test to determine the type of diabetes you have? If I lost enough weight would there be any possibility of treating my diabetes with oral medicine only?

Answer:

Biguanides (metformin is the safest and most used one among them) do not harm the liver. As a matter of a fact, serious liver as well as renal diseases are a contraindication for using biguanides. C-peptide testing is indeed a valuable way for assessing your pancreatic exogenous insulin reserve, and therefore which clinical type of diabetes you have (insulin requiring or not).

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Medications: Pills for Diabetes