From Alabama, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 51 years old. I have been on 4 shots per day since 4 months after being diagnosed. I am now 54 years old. on my last doctors visit the doctor told me that my C-peptide test was in the normal range. He said that due to the antibodies he knew I was a type 1 diabetic and would never be able to come off of insulin. When I started taking insulin I gained about 50 pounds. The doctor has started treating me with Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes]. It has helped a little with my weight. Will Glucophage damage my liver over time? Also, is the C-peptide test an accurate test to determine the type of diabetes you have? If I lost enough weight would there be any possibility of treating my diabetes with oral medicine only?

Biguanides (metformin is the safest and most used one among them) do not harm the liver. As a matter of a fact, serious liver as well as renal diseases are a contraindication for using biguanides. C-peptide testing is indeed a valuable way for assessing your pancreatic exogenous insulin reserve, and therefore which clinical type of diabetes you have (insulin requiring or not).

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Medications: Pills for Diabetes