Question:

From Coral Springs, Florida, USA:

I am 23 years old and have Type 1 diabetes. I am interested in learning about trials with Islet Cell Transplants and also Pancreas Transplants for myself.

Answer:

The Diabetes Research Institute is conducting a new clinical trial in a limited number of individuals with Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Individuals who meet the inclusion criteria will receive infusions of islets together with a new monoclonal antibody that has shown unprecedented promise in pre-clinical studies conducted here at the DRI and at the Naval Medical Research Institute in Bethesda, MD. Below you'll find a preliminary list of the inclusion/exclusion criteria for this trial.

Study Population

• Participants must be between 18-50, inclusively.
  • Must reside within 4 hours of Miami (or be able to move to the region for the duration of the trial).
  • Must have had Type 1 insulin dependent diabetes mellitus for more than 5 years.
  • Must manifest signs and symptoms that are severe enough to be incapacitating, including at least one of the following:

• Hypoglycemic episodes requiring assistance or treatment
    • Unstable metabolic control (HbA1c >8)

Exclusion Criteria

• Previous islet or organ transplant
  • Body mass index > 25

For more information, please contact (305) 243-5321.

Note: For patients within 4 hours from Minneapolis, a similar trial will be initiated at the University of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

CR

Posted to Research: Cure