From Coral Springs, Florida, USA:
I am 23 years old and have Type 1 diabetes. I am interested in learning about trials with Islet Cell Transplants and also Pancreas Transplants for myself.
The Diabetes Research Institute is conducting a new clinical trial in a limited number of individuals with Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Individuals who meet the inclusion criteria will receive infusions of islets together with a new monoclonal antibody that has shown unprecedented promise in pre-clinical studies conducted here at the DRI and at the Naval Medical Research Institute in Bethesda, MD. Below you'll find a preliminary list of the inclusion/exclusion criteria for this trial.
- Participants must be between 18-50, inclusively.
- Must reside within 4 hours of Miami (or be able to move to the region for the duration of the trial).
- Must have had Type 1 insulin dependent diabetes mellitus for more than 5 years.
- Must manifest signs and symptoms that are severe enough to be incapacitating, including at least one of the following:
- Hypoglycemic episodes requiring assistance or treatment
- Unstable metabolic control (HbA1c >8)
- Previous islet or organ transplant
- Body mass index > 25
For more information, please contact (305) 243-5321.
Note: For patients within 4 hours from Minneapolis, a similar trial will be initiated at the University of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Original posting 8 May 1999
Posted to Research: Cure
Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:04
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.