Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed 5 years ago with Type 1. I am curious about what is generally agreed to be really good control of blood sugar versus poor control. If my blood sugar ranges from 80 mg/dl to 200 mg/dl in the course of one day (and skips around a lot), does that indicate poor control? Also, in addition to tight control, what are the most significant things I can do now to ensure long life and future good health?

Answer:

You will find a great deal of information on this and linked sites about what the evidence is that good control reduces the risks of complications. However, you need to know that even excellent control still leaves some risk and there will always be a few unlucky people who look after their diabetes very well and still get problems. The definition of good control generally comes down to HbA1c but the target range varies from lab to lab so speak to your own team.

As well as watching sugars, you can improve your health now and in the future with a good diet, not smoking and plenty of exercise.