Question:

From Colorado Springs, Colarado, USA:

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about one year ago. He has never experienced a low blood sugar in the middle of the night. How often does this happen? Does a person always wake up by it? How would a parent know? I do keep a monitor in his room while he sleeps. This is my biggest concern.

Answer:

This is a concern for all parents. It is relatively uncommon to have a severe hypo during the night but they do occur so you should know what to do. Most people will wake but if not then the restlessness will often waken others in the house. You need to know that in nearly all cases, the body responds to raise the blood sugar on its own without intervention. You can get more information within the pages of Children with Diabetes, and also at http://www .childdiabetes-scotland.org/yorkhill/hypopg.html.