Question:

From Wayne, Nebraska, USA:

I have a 16 year old son who has had Type 1 for 6 years. A friend of mine has a 6 year old son who has had a yeast infection twice in the last 6 months. Her doctor told her that is a sign of diabetes. I have never heard of that. Is that true?

Answer:

You had asked if yeast infections can be a sign of diabetes. In older adults, especially women, many are diagnosed with diabetes because of a yeast infection that won't go away. The diabetes has been present for some time but has gone undetected because adult onset diabetes often gives no symptoms at all. This would not be the same for a 6 year old. Kids can get yeast infections for other reasons. If this child has a high blood sugar, infections can persist and be hard to get rid of but typically this child will also have the very obvious symptoms of diabetes: thirst, increased hunger and urination, fatigue and, overall, a very sick child. If this is not the case, I would suspect another cause of the recurrent yeast infection.

Whenever in question, a blood sugar test can answer the question very easily and quickly.

KS