From Pennsylvania, USA:

My 6 year old son has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for 1 1/2 years. He is currently on a low carbohydrate diet (30 grams per meal) and his blood sugar is much better controlled. The lower longer acting carbs reduce his postprandial blood sugar rises. With normal blood sugars and no illness he occasionally passes ketones. Our endocrinologists at Childrens Hospital cannot answer why that is occurring and aren't sure it is detrimental given he is well, blood sugar control is excellent and Alc 5.9. There are no other children following this diet that we or Childrens know of and so we are a study case.

Have you any information on low carb diets and ketones? He eats moderate fat in form of soy and other unsaturated types. He is not losing weight. Also can growth hormone effect the excretion of ketones?

I do not know of other children on a low carb diet. I would certainly not advocate this diet for a growing child since ketones are contra-indicated, as far as I know, in the growing process. Also, the diet is so different from the normal diet I am afraid adherence in the long-term will be a major issue. How do you do birthday parties, for example, or McDonalds?