From Wellington, New Zealand:

We have two meters that give different readings when taking readings at the same time. My daughter (Type 1, 2 years) was in hospital, and the hospitals meter gave a reading of 5.5, but our meter was reading 3.5. We were given a new meter which reads lower than the first one.

What should we do? Are there any that you recommend? Her levels are still all over the place, and we are waiting for Lyspro to become available in New Zealand.

Speak to the manufacturer of the meter as well as a diabetes educator for advice concerning your particular meter and to make sure you are using it correctly. Home blood glucose meters are not as accurate as a laboratory. There can easily be a 15-20% difference from meter to meter. I don't know which meters are available in New Zealand now, but there are many good ones on the market. It would be important to check out the features that you need, and to make sure you are using your meter properly.