From Missouri, USA:

I eat out a lot on my job, and I find that most restaurants do not have foods for diabetics. Is there a way to educate the people that serve our foods on the road?

Good question. There are several books out regarding eating in fast food restaurants and also eating at various ethnic restaurants. The Restaurant Companion by Hope Warshaw is great to address the latter (how to eat at an Italian restaurant, for example). As far as fast food, they do have menus posted with the breakdown of nutrients in the restaurants, or you can ask for the staff to give you a copy. Otherwise, Exchanges for All Occasions has material on eating at fast food places, in addition to other helpful hints.