From Hawaii, USA:

I am currently giving insulin shots to my 74 year old father. I'm using the NovoPen 3 device to administer the shots. Although I've been given instructions by his physician I'm still having difficulty finding a fatty area as described by the doctor, due to my dad being thin in these areas. Also I have a hard time telling what is fat and what is muscle. At times the shot goes well where there's no bleeding, while other times there is a little bleeding and a some of the injected insulin seems to leak out. I'm very uncomfortable having this hit-or-miss sessions and hope you can give me some assistance in locations and techniques in giving shots.

Some suggestions:

1. Use the shortest, smallest needle available for your father's Novopen.
  2. Using the areas of the back of the arm, top of the leg, stomach, buttocks, try pulling up on the skin before injecting.
  3. At the completion of the insulin injection, count to 5 before removing the needle. This should help stop the seeping of the insulin after the injection.
  4. Sometimes bleeding is caused by a slight movement of the needle while injecting. Once you pull the needle out, put slight pressure over the area.
  5. Find a diabetes educator to work with and help you problem solve if you haven't already. The national association of diabetes educators has a list of educators in your area. You can call 1-800-TEAM-UP-4 to get those names.