Question:

From Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA:

My 6 year old daughter has Type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed two years ago. No matter what we do she seems to run high in the morning. I have heard mention of Dawn Syndrome. Can you please explain this to me?

Answer:

I think that you have already been referred to a description of the Dawn Phenomenon . One trouble with the conventional explanation that it reflects a rebound from early morning hypoglycemia is that when actual measurements of glucose controlling hormone levels in the blood have actually been carried out, they don't always confirm the assumed surge in counterregulatory hormones. In other words, although the phenomenon is real enough, the usual explanation may not yet be a complete one.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA