Question:

From Wellington, Nevada, USA:

Our son had what was termed "Minimal Brain Disfunction" but, is now called ADHD or ADA (Attention Deficit Disorder) and our daughter's son now has this, which I understand has to do with a lack of serotonin in the brain. Now, my husband developed diabetes Type 2 about six years ago and the brother of my grandson with the ADHD was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes only five months ago. Is there any correlation between ADHD and diabetes?

I, likewise, have been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease of which I have read, serotonin may also have something to do with. Could you please tell me more about serotonin and wether or not any study has ever been done to see if there is a correlation between these three afflictions or the serotonin factor?

Answer:

One theory as to the basic cause of ADHD is that it is due to an abnormality in the part of the membrane of some nervous system cells which is responsible for the transport of DOPA and serotonin. If you are up to trying to understand the technicalities of this very complex subject you might want to search in PubMed under 'Attention Deficit Disorder and Serotonin'. ADHD is not, however, a disorder of the immune system and shares no causal basis with Type 1 Diabetes. Serotonin is a product of the normal essential amino acid tryptophan which plays an important role in the conduction of impulses between nerve cells. The basic pathology of Parkinson's Disease is the degeneration in a part of the midbrain called the corpus striatum that results in a deficiency of dopamine and to a lesser extent of serotonin. L-Dopa is the primary treatment of this disorder; but there is another group of drugs called serotonin reuptake inhibitors which may accentuate the symptoms of Parkinsonism if not carefully used, again a very complicated story.

Posted to ADHD