Question:

From San Francisco, California, USA:

Our son is 3.5 years old. He has had diabetes for 2 years. We are considering carb counting. Is it a good choice at that age? He fights the shots and it seems that carb counting would involve more than his usual single daily shot (Humalog and NPH in the A.M.).

Answer:

The purpose of any meal plan is to make the blood sugars more consistent from day to day. If carbohydrate counting makes that a little simpler, then I would not hesitate to try it. I think you would benefit from seeing a pediatric dietitian who works with children with diabetes to get some helpful hints. I also would recommend the book Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge & Richard Rubin, available from the American Diabetes Association.

JM