From East Springfield, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have a 8 1/2 year old son with diabetes. How do we get on any studies or trial programs? I would be very interested in getting more involved.

To get involved in diabetes research studies you should first contact your diabetes care team. They should have knowledge of research in your local area. You may also contact the ADA and JDF local or state chapters for information.

Your family can participate in the Diabetes Prevention Trial Type 1 by calling 800-HALT DM1 to find a screening site near you.

JDF is having a Childrens Congress in June 1999 in Washington DC to raise awareness and help increase funding for diabetes research. You may wish to participate in this very worthwhile project. Contact JDF for more information.

Congratulations on wanting to be more involved. I too said I wanted to "get more involved" when my daughter was diagnosed 9 years ago and now I am employed directly in diabetes research at the local and national level.

Posted to Research: Other