From Nevada, USA:

We are currently seeking Diabetes Support groups for children with diabetes, or some kind of counseling, for my 13 year-old grandson, who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes several months ago. His grades have taken a dramatic fall and his attitude is such that he does not want to go to school because he doesn't feel good. This is from a thirteen year old who loves people and life. His friends were everything to him and he use to be the first one up and out the door, to begin a new day and the last to go to bed at night.

This child may indeed be depressed and I would strongly recommend an assessment by a clinical specialist in psychosocial adjustment to chronic disease. A support group is also useful and can certainly lessen feelings of isolation. But given your description of the situation, I would still seek a psychological evaluation for depression.

Posted to Behavior