Question:

From Bucks, England:

I am 18 years old and have been an insulin dependant diabetic for 12 years. I am travelling to Australia in the summer for 7 weeks and am wondering how the difference in time will affect when I have to do my injections. I am on 4 injections per day.

Answer:

How to adjust insulin for travel is a common question. Because you are already on four injections per day, you should have no problems. What I suggest is that you add up all your insulin doses for the day and divide by 4. Every 6 hours (approximately) during your travelling you should have a quarter of your daily dose as soluble (clear) insulin and a meal. When you arrive in Australia you can start your first full day with your usual doses. Your body will quickly get used to the time change. Simply do the same thing on the way home. Using this method avoids complicated sums about what time you will be where and what time your brain thinks it is.

Have a great time.

Posted to Traveling