Question:

From Maine, USA:

I am 51 years old and recently (within 30 days) been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am taking oral medication and it seems to be controlling just fine. I am also on a strict diet. My question is regarding my vision. My sight seemed to be just fine until I was diagnosed and started treatment. Now my vision has become blurry and unfocused. The doctor told me that this is normal while the blood chemistry gets balanced. Is this true? I drive for a living and need to see where I'm going! How long a period does it take for the eye lenses to return to my previous excellent vision? I'm very concerned and a bit scared that I could lose my job if the vision doesn't return soon.

Answer:

Yes, this is an expected effect when your blood glucose changes dramatically. The lens of the high has lots of water in it and your glucose level affects the amount of water in the lens -- but when your blood glucose was going up, it did so in very minute amounts over time, probably years. You had adapted to it and your lens was able to maintain the shape it needed to see. I have some patients go through 3-4 prescriptions of glasses while this straightens out. Probably, by the time you see this message you will be able to "see" this message. Your eyes will adapt to this current glucose level usually in about 3 weeks. If you wear glasses you might find some of your old prescriptions will work during this transition, but don't go get new glasses until your glucose has been in the normal range for 4 weeks.

And, congratulations to you for getting into control!

VV