From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

Are kidney infections more commen in women with Type 1 diabetes in their mid to late 20s than in women without diabetes? Why does it seem to take so long to feel better and get control back, than with other infections?

Also, as I have no current signs of kidney disease (Type 1 for 16 years), can any permanent damage be caused by the infections and how does this affect my kidney functioning?

Young women with well controlled diabetes are not particularly more vulnerable to urinary tract infections (UTI's) than their nondiabetic peers. They are however more susceptible to the general metabolic disturbance of any infection. Especially if there is evidence of repeated UTI's it is very important indeed to make sure that any infection is completely cleared and remains so because of the risk of a silent pyelonephritis which can lead to renal insufficiency.