Question:

From Florida, USA:

I have been told I may have Gestational Diabetes. Can you tell me what this means as it pertains to my unborn child? Will this endanger the baby? All the information you can give me will be appreciated.

Answer:

Gestational diabetes is a condition of glucose intolerance during pregnancy. You make insulin, but not enough to completely control your blood sugar levels. Often this can be controlled with a special diet. Sometimes mothers need to be started on insulin. The baby is not in danger but will require some additional testing during the pregnancy. In particular the growth of the baby needs to be watched. Your obstetrician can give you the details about this.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes