From Salem, Oregon, USA:

My daughter-in-law has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. She is 20 years old and pregnant with her second child, having had no problems with the first pregnancy. However, even though her levels are up to 195 in the mornings, she insists that her dietitian says it's okay to eat processed sugar in small amounts. For example she will eat a bowl of sugared cereal in the morning and have a serving or two of candy, cake, or ice cream during the day. She says she needs to eat these items in order to get adequate carbohydrates. I'm concerned about the advice she is being given and how she is interpreting it. Do you have anything I can pass on to her that would be helpful?

It sounds like your daughter may have misinterpreted the dietitian's instructions. While it is true that she needs carbohydrate intake, this should be in the form of complex carbohydrates such as grains, pasta, etc. She should have a list of what is appropriate.

Your daughter-in-law's blood sugar values would suggest that her current diet is not working and that she should have her diet reevaluated. She may even need to be on insulin.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes