From Reno, Nevada, USA:

My 9 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for 3 years, and is in excellent control (last 6 A1c's have been under 8). Recently he was diagnosed with epiphysitis in his heels. Is it possible this is related to his diabetes? We were told the problem should correct itself in a few months, but he is in quite a bit of pain now.

This is a common problem in growing children, and unrelated to diabetes as far as I know and have experienced. Certainly lots of children without diabetes get it. I agree it should resolve without any real treatment.