Question:

From Herkimer, New York, USA:

Is it unusual for a 10 year old diabetic to be confused when his sugar is low? Also, he has frequent headaches that I think are migraine because he vomits for quite awhile. Is that common for diabetics?

Answer:

Confusion, headaches, abdominal pain and irritability are common accompaniments to hypoglycemia; vomiting rather less so. What I would suggest is doing a number of blood sugars especially at the beginning of what you think might be a migraine episode to find out if they are indeed low. In addition you could see if small supplements of sugars such as a glass of orange juice significantly ameliorate the symptoms something that would confirm hypoglycemia. And if sustained preventative measures alleviated the symptoms this would confirm the diagnosis. Confusion, headaches, and vomiting can also be features of migraine and if there is a family history of this or any evidence of a prodrome e.g.dizziness, spots before eyes or visual field defects, then you need to plan appropriate management with your son's doctor.