From Cincinnati Ohio, USA:

I have diabetes and have just moved here from Florida. I do not have a doctor or dietitian yet here. I just found out about the carbohydrate counting program. Is that a better way of controlling diabetes? And if it is, is there any way that you could tell me about how many carbohydrates a person would eat a day that is 165 pounds, 5'5" tall and very rarely exercises, just day to day routines such as cleaning. I know that I should consult my own dietitian but like I said we just moved here and I don't yet have one because we are waiting on my husbands insurance to start and it takes 3 months for people with pre-existing conditions to be added. I know the concepts of taking my insulin and checking sugars and sliding scale so there are no real dangers of me changing to carb counting because I have had diabetes for 10 1/2 years and I know the signs of hyper and hypoglycemia.

I think you need to see a dietitian as soon as possible, but I can understand that you do not have coverage currently. I would suggest you just continue on your current regimen, as long as you recognize hypo and hyperglycemia. I assume your current system includes the exchange system, which can actually be a starting point for carbohydrate counting since 1 starch or 1 fruit or 1 milk exchange is usually counted as 1 carb unit. I do not know how much regular or Humalog insulin they will decide you need for each carb unit, but it varies between 0.5 and 1.5, usually. I hope that helps somewhat. Be sure and keep track of your blood glucoses and if possible, your diet and exercise when you go in for the visit and that will help immensely.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

While waiting for your insurance to "kick in," you can call the doctor's office, find out what dietitians he/she uses, and arrange now for an appointment the very first day you have insurance.

There's also a possibility that some health professionals will be willing to see you for an outpatient visit before your insurance is available at no charge or for a minimal fee: after all, if they are going to be caring for you later, they might as well get to meet you now. Ask!