Question:

From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA:

My granddaughter is not yet 3 years old. At times her baseline insulin requirements are as low as .5 units morning and evening. If she gets too high on this I would like to give her 0.2 units of Regular or lispro insulin [Humalog® brand]. Half a unit will sometimes drop her below 50 (she has gone as low as 22).

I know we can dilute, but would like to avoid it if possible. Do you know of anyone who makes a device to administer insulin in 0.2 unit increments?

Answer:

As far as I know, there is no device to inject insulin in 0.2 unit increments. Diluting short-acting insulin for young children can work very nicely. For example, if you diluted the standard U-100 insulin (100 units per ml) to U-10 insulin (10 units per ml), each line on your syringe would be 0.1 units, so you would draw up 2 lines to get a dose of 0.2 units.

Insulin pumps deliver increments of 0.1 units, but are not usually prescribed for children so young.

LM