From Plano, Texas, USA:

My 13 year old daughter has had type 1 for about 1 1/2 years. I would like to see about the pump for her. Her numbers are so inconsistent. She goes from crashing to 300's. Are there any certain guidelines to be followed before starting a pump? Is there any minimum time before starting? Age? Blood sugar levels? I have heard that some doctors are reluctant to start children before early teens. What is standard?

There is no "right" age or time to start on an insulin pump. There are no medical guidelines for starting a pump. However, some insurance companies have their own requirements before they will provide coverage. Yes, some doctors are reluctant to use pumps for varying reasons. You may need to "shop around" for a diabetes team that's comfortable with kids on pumps.

If you and your daughter are will to do the work -- the insulin pump might be a good option. Discuss it with her diabetes team, and look at both the MiniMed and Disetronic websites, and Insulin Pumps here at Children with Diabetes for more information. I'd also suggest that you contact both companies for their promotional videos.

Posted to Insulin Pumps