Question:

From New York, USA:

I believe I read somewhere that diabetics shouldn't wear silver jewelry. Is this true and if so, why?

Answer:

This statement was indeed made, by >MedicAlert, and maybe by others.

I recall challenging the folks from MedicAlert on this a few years ago, at which time learned that the rationale for their statement was simply that they tended to have more returns of the silver version of their jewelry from people with diabetes due to rashes than they had expected. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the actual allergen was a trace metal or other substance, rather than the silver.

I have no hesitation about suggesting the use of silver jewelry by any non-allergic person; however, it might be worth inquiring of the company's return policy, so that if it does cause problems, you'd know if you could get an exchange or refund or not.

WWQ