Question:

I am 16 and have Type 1 diabetes for 7 years. Lately the idea of anorexia is very appealing because I can't seem to do a thing with my weight even though I exercise everyday. Do you know any other means for a diabetic to lose weight?

Answer:

A healthy plan for weight loss is a good food and exercise plan. "Aerobic" exercise is great for losing weight, because you keep exercising for an extended period of time. "Aerobic" exercise burns the most calories. Brisk walking, jogging, swimming, bike riding are all examples of aerobic activities.

Very low calorie diets are not the answer to permanent weight loss. However, eating sensibly is. If you want to lose one pound of fat in a week, you need to consume about 3,500 calories less than your weekly requirements or 500 calories less a day. The most effective way to do this is to reduce the amount of calories you eat and increase the amount calories you burn through physical activity and exercise.

It will most likely require a team approach to help you sort out all of the forces at work here. Work with your dietitian, physician and health care professional to determine the right amount of calories you should eat to meet your needs and to develop a sensible food plan. Remember, your diet and exercise plan will be most effective and safe if it is created just for you. You may even want to talk to a counselor with regard to your thoughts about anorexia. Eating disorders occur for a number of reasons. Sometimes an individual's quest for a skinnier body is a mystery to everyone else but the individual themself.

PL