From San Juan Capistrano, California, USA:

Since being diagnosed a month ago with Type 1 diabetes, our 13-year-old son has really been terrific watching his food intake, monitoring himself and accepting his twice a day shoots. He has also been doing a lot of talking and reading about research and possible cures in the future. I think he really believes that a cure is possible within the next ten years. We all certainly hope so. Since is appears that most complications from diabetes arise "down the road," how do we stress the importance of tight control without dashing his hopes for a cure?

I applaud your son's interest in the field of diabetes research and the search for a cure. His excellent management of his diabetes will help him stay healthy until that cure is available. Walking the fine line between hope and fear is a challenge. I encourage my clients to take good care of themselves regardless of what is happening on the research front. All of the scientists worldwide cannot "undo" damage done by recklessness en route to a cure. Your son is doing all the right things!

Posted to Tight Control