Question:

From Michigan City, Indiana, USA:

My sixteen year old son has diabetes and PKU, therefore diet is very difficult. His blood sugar levels are up and down, no certain trend. I would appreciate any information from anyone with these two diseases.

Answer:

This is a very unfortunate combination of diseases. However, the management involves consideration of two components of diet: carbohydrate for diabetes and protein for PKU. This should allow for the diabetes to be managed reasonably normally provided that low phenylalanine foods are chosen. Clearly, the most important advisor for you is a dietitian. Although your son is 16 I would recommend strongly that you consult with a paediatric dietitian who will be much more experienced with the PKU side. You may be able to contact other individuals with both diseases through a PKU society - sorry I don't know the contact address in America.

Additional comments from The Editor:

See PKU News for more information about PKU.

JSH