From St. Petersburg, Florida, USA:

My husband, age forty, has Type 1. He has had the disease for 15 years. Should his physician be prescribing the new drug repaglinide (Prandin) since he is a Type 1 diabetic taking two shots a day of 70/30 insulin? Should his physician have taken him off Rezulin (troglitazone) and then represcribe Rezulin because his patient stated Prandin is supposed to be for Type 2's only?

Prandin and Rezulin are medications for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes, and would not be expected to be helpful in Type 1 diabetes. If they were proposed for this off-label use, there should be a thorough explanation of the benefits and risks (in writing in my opinion) before they are used.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes