Question:

From Rhode Island, USA:

My 22 year old daughter (diagnosed with diabetes at age 11) is 6 1/2 months pregnant. She doesn't feel the baby move very much. At her last appointment, 2 weeks ago, they did an ultrasound and found that the baby is very active. Do you have any idea why she wouldn't feel the movements?

Answer:

Mother's perception of fetal movement can be quite variable. I have observed that if the placenta is on the front of the uterus (closest to mom's skin) it seems to cushion the fetal movement. As the baby gets bigger she will feel more movement.

Posted to Family Planning