Question:

From Florida, USA:

I am a 38 year old female and have a six year old with diabetes. I have hypothyroidism and take thyroid pills daily. Today I was having the shakes and felt "low". I checked my blood sugar and it was only 65. Should I be concerned and have this checked out? My daughter thinks I have diabetes now. Or is this just a normal thing that sometimes happens?

Answer:

Probably it's a normal thing. But low sugars might occasionally be an early warning for diabetes, so it wouldn't hurt to (1) get onto a diabetic meal plan that might help with the low sugars as well as potential high sugars and to set a good example for your daughter, and (2) get blood sugar testing under the occasional circumstances of super-stress (such as an acute illness with fever) the next time it happens to occur to you, to see if there's any tendency for high sugars (diabetes).

WWQ

DTQ-ONC19990406173546
Posted to Thyroid and Diagnosis and Symptoms