Question:

From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

I am a 29 year old male with hypertension, low thyroid, epilepsy, and bipolar disorder, and was diagnosed one month ago with diabetes (fasting sugar 679). I don't know if it's type 1 or 2 as yet. I am taking insulin to get the sugars down.

What long term problems can I expect with the diabetes in relation to my other health problems? Are cardiac-related problems "just a fact of life" or can they be managed -- my diet is already low fat low sodium; now the sugars out too --any ideas as to what to expect would be appreciated.

Answer:

Given your age, the very high level of blood sugar at presentation, and the coexistence of thyroid insufficiency (which I'd guess is probably of autoimmune origin) I'd say Type 1 as part of a polyglandular autoimmune syndrome. Long term metabolic control (not only glucose, because lipids matter also for the prevention of macrovascular disease) will be the best way to assure yourself a long and happy life.