From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

I am a 29 year old male with hypertension, low thyroid, epilepsy, and bipolar disorder, and was diagnosed one month ago with diabetes (fasting sugar 679). I don't know if it's type 1 or 2 as yet. I am taking insulin to get the sugars down.

What long term problems can I expect with the diabetes in relation to my other health problems? Are cardiac-related problems "just a fact of life" or can they be managed -- my diet is already low fat low sodium; now the sugars out too --any ideas as to what to expect would be appreciated.

Given your age, the very high level of blood sugar at presentation, and the coexistence of thyroid insufficiency (which I'd guess is probably of autoimmune origin) I'd say Type 1 as part of a polyglandular autoimmune syndrome. Long term metabolic control (not only glucose, because lipids matter also for the prevention of macrovascular disease) will be the best way to assure yourself a long and happy life.