Question:

From Adelaide, South Australia:

I have a 14 year old brother (type 1) who cannot resist the temptations of chocolate or sweets. He has recently had an episode of DKA (diabetes ketoacidosis) but this still does not stop him from eating sugary foods. He understands the consequences but finds it impossible to resist. He has a huge appetite and constantly seeks for food, but is also very active and surfs daily. He has been told he can eat sweets (chocolate and sugary cereals) but of course in moderation but I believe he confuses this with daily. What do you suggest I do to help him understand the risk and harm he is doing or can be doing to his body?

Answer:

I would suggest that your brother meet with a dietitian who is experienced in diabetes care. He may indeed need more calories than he is getting (and he needs to get it from nutritious food!); also, if he is running high most of the time, that will make him very hungry!

DKA is life threatening and nothing to take lightly: if your brother has repeated hospitalizations for DKA, I would suspect a psychological root for his behavior and include a counselor in his treatment.

CMB

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Behavior