Question:

From Odessa, Texas, USA:

In December 1998, my 21 month daughter was diagnosed with Ketoacidosis Hypoglycemia. As a result of this she has been hospitalized once a month since then for viral infection and for a throat and ear infection. Does her condition make her more susceptible to infections, and is there anything preventative I can do or give to her to stop these frequent visits to the hospital? Is there a specialist in this area?

Answer:

I am not clear about what your daughter has. Does she have diabetes, or you were told that it is hypoglycemia? If so you might want to consider seeing an endocrinologist. You could call Debbie Mason, the certified diabetes educator at Memorial Hospital in Midland. I am sure she could help you with finding a doctor who can help you with your daughter's problem.

VV