Question:

From South Australia, Australia:

I am 39 years old and have had Type 1 Diabetes for 9 years. About 5 years ago I also developed an underactive thyroid and now take 150mcg thyroxine daily. Before my thyroid condition was diagnosed I put on a lot of weight which I now cannot get rid of. I've tried the low-fat diet without any success and now I want to try the Protein Power diet (low carbohydrate). I've heard it can be beneficial for Type 2 but do you know if it works for type 1? I am looking to lose 2 1/2 stone and then long-term weight control.

I also wondered if this type of diet would help control my blood sugar. My last HbA1c test came out at 10.00 -- I've always had good control before this and I wondered if it was the low-fat diet I was on as this diet is very high in carbohydrate. Any advice would be appreciated.

Answer:

I would not recommend the proposed diet. I think you should check with your diabetes dietitian and hopefully obtain a low-fat, low calorie meal plan and team that with more exercise. That should help you obtain better blood glucose control and plan to lose weight slowly -- be patient. And go for long walks or other exercise you enjoy.

LSF