Question:

From Minnesota, USA:

I am 19 and was diagnosed with type I diabetes at 2 1/2 years of age. My glycohemoglobin has always been in the lower to middle 9% range. All of the information I've read about pregnancy says that my A1c should be in the 6-7% range. What if it is in the 9% range? What is the danger to the baby? Is it safe to become pregnant at that range?

Answer:

Hemoglobin A1c is used as a predictor of fetal abnormalities due to diabetes. The higher the Hgb A1c is above normal, the greater the risk. Unfortunately, even with a normal Hgb A1c, babies of diabetic mothers are still at slightly increased risk of congenital abnormalities.

Therefore, the best action for you to take is to bring the HgbA1c into the normal range prior to conception. This would entail working closely with your endocrinologist to improve your blood sugar control. Once you are pregnant, then there are several tests that you undergo to further evaluate the developing fetus.

Posted to Family Planning and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c